Host A Blood Drive
Approximately 85% of the blood collected by the Coastal Bend Blood Center comes from community blood drives.
Hosting a blood drive is both a compassionate and rewarding experience. By hosting a blood drive at your business, church or organization you give people a meaningful and convenient way to give back. The donated blood and its components are used for trauma victims, heart surgeries, organ transplants and patients being treated for leukemia, cancer and other diseases. Your support shows your commitment to our community and your understanding of the importance of maintaining an adequate blood supply for citizens of the Coastal Bend.
Below is an overview of the basic steps involved in hosting a successful blood drive. In addition, the Donor Development department has created a Blood Drive Planning Guide to serve as a helpful tool. To view this guide simply click on the link below or contact the Donor Development department at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your own printed copy.
Contact our Office Coordinator, Elizabeth to schedule your blood drive:
Office Number: 361-737-0357
- Meet with your Blood Center recruiter to secure a date and time for your event.
- Form a committee to assist you with organizing and promoting the blood drive.
- Make sure all managers and directors are aware of the upcoming drive and ask for their assistance in promoting the event.
- Meet with any employees in your company who have a personal story they might want to share on behalf of your blood drive. Stories can be used in your company newsletter or on your company website.
Promoting the Event
- Your blood drive location may have many resources already in place for promoting your blood drive. (i.e. newsletter, email, website, marquee and high traffic areas) The Blood Center will provide you with posters and flyers for promoting your blood drive. In addition, this website contains links to various informational flyers that may also be of assistance.
- Sign-up tables are a great way to promote your drive and build participation. When individuals make appointments to donate they are more likely to participate and appointments keep the blood drive running smoothly. Your donor recruiter has sign-up sheets and appointment reminder cards.
- Remember word of mouth is still the strongest tool you have. Don’t be afraid to ask; studies show that one of the top reasons people don’t donate is because no one asks.
If you are using one of the bloodmobiles, designate a space equal to seven parking spaces for the mobile to use the day of the event.
- If you are not using a bloodmobile you will need:
- the largest room available, cleared of unnecessary furniture
- good lighting and multiple electrical outlets
- air conditioning or heating set the night before for between 60 and 65 degrees for donor comfort
- up to five tables (banquet, cafeteria or card tables) and one to two dozen chairs
- Although the Coastal Bend Blood Center provides refreshments, additional snacks can be furnished by employees or your company.
We at the Coastal Bend Blood Center understand that hosting a successful blood drive means more than just securing parking for the bloodmobile on the day of the drive. That is why we try to go above and beyond to assist you in any way we can.
What you can expect from us
- Regular contact with your Coastal Bend Blood Center donor recruiter
- Materials to assist you in promoting your upcoming drive
- The right amount of staff and equipment for your blood drive, on site and on time
- A professional, helpful staff who share in your desire to save the lives of others here in the Coastal Bend
- Someone to answer all questions and concerns about your upcoming blood drive
Together we can make a lifesaving difference in our community.